It's time to stop living in the past.
Trauma — very recent or from years past, physical or emotional, big or small — can wreak havoc on a person's self-esteem, relationships, or even, their ability to perform basic daily tasks. Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) is an evidence-based therapy approach used by Central Florida Counselor, Tracy Weiss, to help clients tackle distressing memories with the goal of eradicating unhelpful (and automatic) responses to the wounds of their past.
What is EMDR?
To start an EMDR session, Tracy works with a client to identify specific problems and associated memories to process in therapy. As the client recalls a targeted distressing memory, Tracy facilitates bilateral stimulation of the brain. Most often this dual stimulation of the brain happens through guided eye movements, but occasionally audio or tapping may be used. The stimulation lights up the brain's memory networks and jump-starts adaptive information processing. Bilateral stimulation continues, with Tracy checking in regularly for feedback, until a memory becomes less distressing and even becomes associated with positive self-talk and core beliefs.
You may benefit from EMDR if ...
- Daily stressors are moving you quickly toward burnout
- You have long-held self-limiting beliefs
- Your heart starts racing, you feel ill or angry when you hear certain sounds
- You find yourself getting anxious when thinking about certain places or people
- You feel stuck in the past
- You want to strengthen the mind/body connection
- You have experienced trauma
- You feel "locked up" emotionally
- You want to work on building self-confidence